Friday, April 17, 2009

Nilsen, Beethoven and Morricone

I found this on YouTube, Kurt Nilsen was the first season champ of the Norwegian version of the reality show Pop Idol. In this clip, Kurt Nilsen was the one who sings last with the very distracting teeth, I might say. But my oh my, when he sings, he has the most beautiful voice. They sang "Hallelujah", its only by now that I have appreciated the beauty of the song. I even googled the lyrics.

Hallelujah

heard there was a secret chord
that david played and it pleased the lord
but you don't really care for music, do you
well it goes like this the fourth, the fifth
the minor fall and the major lift
the baffled king composing hallelujah

hallelujah...

well your faith was strong but you needed proof
you saw her bathing on the roof
her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
she tied you to her kitchen chair
she broke your throne and she cut your hair
and from your lips she drew the hallelujah

hallelujah...

baby i've been here before
i've seen this room and i've walked this floor
i used to live alone before i knew you
i've seen your flag on the marble arch
but love is not a victory march
it's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah

hallelujah...

well there was a time when you let me know
what's really going on below
but now you never show that to me do you
but remember when i moved in you
and the holy dove was moving too
and every breath we drew was hallelujah

well, maybe there's a god above
but all i've ever learned from love
was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you
it's not a cry that you hear at night
it's not somebody who's seen the light
it's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah

hallelujah...


On the other hand, Beethoven never ever fails to entice me with his classical brilliance. Aside of course from Mozart, Liszt, Cage and other notable classical music Einstein, Beethoven is one that I can consider as the best. I watched "Copying Beethoven" on Star Movies and I am so thrilled about the whole movie. I found in YouTube, again, my best part in the movie. As you may have known, Beethoven became quite deaf and in the movie he needed a guide for him to be able to conduct the whole orchestra. It's just sublime, I actually get goosebumps. He played the awesome 9th Symphony. Check it out and see for yourself:


Ennio Morricone, well don't know much anything 'bout him except that he is an Italian composer who have composed many soundtracks of my favorite movies notably, The Legend of 1900 and Cinema Paradiso and he's good, very good.

I have always dreamed of joining the orchestra or if ever I will not be able to join, watching one would be truly delightful. There's something so addicting and supremely narcotic whenever I hear good classical music, its like reaching the peak of the world- unfathomable. I am looking forward to that day, where I can spend my money and travel the world, go to different opera houses or concert halls and just enjoying the moment.

I wonder how many people today of my age wanted the same thing? Carlota and Arnie would definitely go with me, but how about the rest? I hope young ones could see the magic classical music brings, its like the music of God that even though words are not present you could understand the whole meaning just by the melody, it solely speaks for itself. And I think its purely magical and superb that such music was being made, how I wish I could make one.

8 comments:

tubby said...

I think Morricone's great, too. Though I don't know much of his work except his contributions to the movie 1900. Hehehe.

I miss you so much Kim! Tapos mo na nga ba yung Pillars? It's one of my most favorite books. :)

Lotsee

Kim said...

Ganda nung Magic Waltz no?
haha.
Feeling ko sumasayaw ako nung
pinapakinggan ko 'yan.

Di ko pa tapos, haha.
Lately, everytime I read Pillars, I end up sleeping. haha. Sarap kasing mapaginipan yung mga scenes.
haha.

tubby said...

Napapaginipan mo yung scenes? Hahaha. Wow. Sayang ako hindi, or at least I don't remember dreaming about them. Haha.

Yeah, ang ganda nga nung Magic Waltz. Remind me to get it when I have the time. Hahaha.

Napanood mo na pala yung RR. Wag mo ikwento. :D

Kim said...

Haha. Lota!
I've just finished Pillars at bumili na ako ng World Without End. So lucky to get
one kasi I thought ubos na.
I already met Caris!

RR? Pardon me, haha. What's that?

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

Lota I really don't know pathetically stupid I am, I am the one who abbreviated the R.R. thing and I ended
up not knowing it.
Pardon me for me seemingly declining intellectuality. Meron nga ba?

Haha.

Too much.

Miss you Lotsee.

tubby said...

Hahaha. Yeah, you said RR. Nah, it's fine. Much more practical. Of all R words, Yates had to use "Revolutionary", you know?! He could have called it Red Road, or Rose Road, but no...

Haha. Pardon me. :)

Kim said...

Hahahaha.
Are you alright Lota?
hahaha.

:D